Scar treatment can be effective. But it depends on a number of factors. A lot of scar treatments are available. Some are cheap, some are expensive. It is really up to you on what particular treatment you should go for.
When weighing your options on what scar treatment that you should use, remember the following facts. These facts will help you in choosing the right scar treatment for your condition.
- There are many types of scars, each of which requires a particular treatment to make it effective. In order to eliminate acne scars, the CO2 laser therapy is recommended. For keloid scars and hypertrophic scars, it is advisable to undergo injections such as corticosteroid and collagen injections.
- Various scar treatment don’t really totally eliminate the scar, they can only improve the appearance of the scar. If you aim for total elimination of scars, choose cosmetic surgery which should be done by an experienced doctor. A surgery not properly done will make the scar bigger and worse.
- The various factors that should be considered when choosing a treatment for eliminating scars are the following: the location of the scar, how big and deep the scar is, the type of scar, cause of the scar and how old is the scar. Also consider the age, sex and the ethnicity of the person who is suffering from the scar.
- Over the counter products are effective to small and minimal scars. They are most effective when used on fresh new scars. You will wait forever for your scars to heal when used on large and deep scars. Over the counter products includes silicon sheets, scar removal creams, gels, lotions and ointments. They are the cheapest and safest products to use on scars but the least effective.
- Treatments such as excision, skin grafting, chemical peels, dermabrasion, subcission, injections and surgery are effective depending on the type of scar you have sustained. But they pose risks which can worsen your scar or produce more complications. Moreover, these treatments need a longer time to heal. So far, laser therapy is one of the safest yet expensive scar removal treatments. It is pain free and risk free.
- If you sustained minor scars, home treatment can be enough. Make use of a combination of over the counter products, lifestyle changes and exercise. A lifestyle change includes a change in your diet such as discarding food irritants that will worsen your scar. Restrain yourself from eating foods that will make your skin itchy. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water. Don’t forget to include lemon juice in your diet.
- When choosing for scar removal creams, choose only the trusted brands. These trusted brands contain ingredients that will help improve the appearance of your scar and will speed up the healing process.
- Prevention is better than cure. You can suffer from wounds but they don’t all result to scars. There are many ways to prevent scars from occurring. Research on them and keep them in mind. Use them whenever you sustain injuries and cuts.